Many of you may not know this, but we have been juicing on a daily basis for almost 12 years now. Yes there have been a few days that we missed here and there, but it’s been a daily ritual for us.
We still remember the first time setting up our juicer and getting all excited to juice the bag of apples and carrots we bought. Little did we know back then, that apple and carrot juice is like having pure sugar – from a glycemic index perspective. It’s not like beets, apples or carrots are bad. They do have their benefits but they are also loaded with sugar. When juicing these, the fiber is stripped away so the sugar goes instantly into your system.
So after finding out that we were getting bad headaches from the sugar rush, we decided to experiment with greens. Weeks later we were able to figure out what recipes we liked most and how much of each food to put through the juicer. The greatest part was that we could make our juices and clean the juicer in less than 10 minutes.
So this is what we came up with on how to make the perfect green juice.
1. Start with a good base – we prefer using cucumber and celery for the base which are both alkalizing.
2. Add a few stalks or handfuls of your favourite greens. You can use spinach, kale, sprouts, broccoli, collards, dandelion or whatever else you like. Mix them up if you want too. Dandelion is very bitter so don’t add too much unless you can handle the taste or mask it with some condiments (see below).
3. Add some sweetener of choice. You can use apples, pears, carrots or beets. We started off with a whole apple then cut it down to half then a quarter. Now we can make a juice without even having to add a sweetener to it.
4. Add your condiments. You can use cayenne pepper, lemon, ginger, turmeric, sea salt or whatever else you like in order to spice it up. Why not juice a jalapeno or habanero pepper if you like to add fire to your green juice!
Our Favourite Recipe (Makes 16 – 24 ounces of juice)
- 1 whole large English cucumber
- 1 medium sized whole celery
- 4-6 leaves of kale
- 10 dandelion leaves
- Optional: ¼ of a lemon, Small piece of ginger
After 12 years of juicing we no longer crave coffee or tea in the morning. We crave our green juice since it gives us a quick vitamin and mineral boost straight into our bloodstream. It’s a way better boost in the morning than caffeine.
What’s your favourite green juice? How long have you been juicing? What’s the funkiest juice you’ve ever made?